Saturday, October 27, 2012

A TIME TO LOSE OR KEEP WHAT?

                              A study by Curtis Dean


Solomon talked about the normal experiences of life. He said:

“To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted… 6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;”-Eccl 3:1-6 KJV. Or the NIV puts it this way: “a time to keep and a time to throw away”, NIV [1]. Let’s examine this concept: There’s a time to get or to lose, to keep or throw away. Well, just what is it time to lose or keep? In spite of one’s efforts, sometimes important things are lost such as:

HEALTH. This study was originally presented in a nursing home, to people who have lost their health. I’ve twice had a month’s stay in a nursing home, so I understand their dilemma. But after each month’s stay, I was able to go home, but these people can’t! I’m still able to be on the go, and that’s a big difference.

ABILITIES. Whether because of health or your living situation, you can’t do the things you once did. I look back on all the work done in Africa, later in Belgium, and now it’s over. Perhaps some things I could still do, but at my age most people assume otherwise!

FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES who’ve gone on before. There’s so many! Thinking about pre-arrangements for my eventual funeral, I once asked my pastor if a certain funeral homes’ auditorium would be big enough. His reply: “Yes, because everyone who knew you has already gone on!” Thankfully, we know that a “Great Day” is coming; we shall meet again and “then shall I know even as also I am known”.1 Cor.13:12

WHAT ARE SOME THINGS WE DARE NOT LOSE?

DON’T LOSE YOUR INTEGRITY AND YOUR FAITH.
A great example is the comparison of Job and his wife. Job: 2:9 Then his wife said to him, “Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die!” 10 But he said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?” In all this Job did not sin with his lips. Job 27:5-6 “Till I die I will not put away my integrity from me. I hold fast my righteousness and will not let it go.” NASB [2]

Job lost his family, friends, and fortune, but his wife lost faith! Whatever comes our way, we must hold on to our faith. “Without faith, it is impossible to please Him.” Heb. 11:6- KJV How well I remember an incident not long before my wife, Jeanne, passed away. She was suffering so horribly, barely able to speak above a whisper. I asked her, “Do you still love the Lord?” In a strong, clear voice she exclaimed, “OF COURSE!” She never lost faith!

Another example is David, and we notice a progression in his faith: In Ps. 56:3, he says: “What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.” Then in Ps. 56:11, he gets a new perspective: “In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid.” Other Scriptures remind us of this necessity: Rom. 5:1-3 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ..”-NASB Also 1 Cor 16:13 “Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. –NASB I like the way the missionary statesman, Charles Greenaway, used to put it: “If you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!”

DON’T LOSE YOUR COURAGE.
Sometimes it takes a word from the Lord, even to give us courage to pray! King David lived in a luxurious home, built with the famous cedars of Lebanon, but the Lord’s place was still in a tent. He decided that he should build a house for God. That night, God told the prophet Nathan to tell David that his son would build the house but not him. However, because this was in David’s heart, the Lord said, “The LORD also declares to you that the LORD will make a house for you.” 2 Sam 7:11- NASB. Now, with a grateful heart, David prays, “For You, O LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, have made a revelation to Your servant, saying, ‘ I will build you a house’; therefore Your servant has found courage to pray this prayer to You.” 2 Sam. 7:27 NASB Courage to pray, courage to believe, courage to live and be what we ought to be. Courage to believe for your family, and sometimes that’s not easy, especially if a family member insists on going their own way, doing their own thing! What was the prayer David prayed? It was, “May it please You to bless the house of Your servant,”(v. 29) and he’s not praying for his wooden home, but for his descendants.

DON’T LOSE LOVE FOR GOD and OTHERS
Luke 10:7 “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” Every ounce, every fiber of your being totally sold out to God, and because of that you do reach out to others. William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, once could not attend a convention of their members, so he sent a telegram, a one-word telegram. That word was “Others!” Don’t just pray for “me, myself, and mine”, but reach out to others.

DON’T LOSE YOUR TENACITY—HOLD FAST!
Rev. 3:11 “I am coming quickly; hold fast what you have, so that no one will take your crown.” How tragic when someone who has followed the Lord, turns and gives up! Yes, life can be tough, life can be rough, Just remember the grand old hymn (one that we seldom hear anymore!): “The raging storms may round us beat; We’ll never leave our safe retreat, A SHELTER IN THE TIME OF STORM.” [3]  Never lose that belief, and if don’t have it, now’s the time to find it! Acts 16:31 “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

THEREFORE, DON’T LOSE: INTEGRITY, FAITH, COURAGE, LOVE, or YOUR BELIEF IN THE LORD. In recent months, I’ve repeatedly read of Christians in Nigeria being killed, churches set on fire with the congregation still inside. Most recently, in Egypt, some Christians were crucified! Furthermore, recent events have put Christians in many countries in immediate danger! Don’t be too sure it won’t come here! Would we, would I be able to stay true in such persecution? The Lord has commanded, “Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.” Rev. 2:10- KJV

[1] Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION(r). Copyright (c) 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan Publishing House. All rights reserved


[2]Scriptures are from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE. C) Copyright 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1987, 1988 by The Lockman Foundation, La Habra, CA 90631. All Rights Reserved - International Copyright Secured


[3] Lyrics: Vernon Charlesworth; Music: Ira Sankey,    P.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment